Tuesday, February 1, 2011

entry one: the first video

            The first video that I want to talk about is Sugata Mitra: The child-driven education.   I found this to be a very fascinating and a number of things jumped out at me as I watched the video.  The first thing was the quote that was used in the video“ A teacher that can be replaced by a machine should be.”  I am not sure what to think.  I am a teacher that has been teaching for what is now 4 years and I don’t know if I should embrace this quote or not.  I feel that what teachers do is very important and that to replace them would be very bad.  Teacher and schools teach students more than just subjects in school they teach children how to become social in the world.  They teach students skills that are not easily assessed, such as compassion, justice, respect, and manners, which make our student better well rounded citizens’ not just students that are “book smart”.  We are a democratic society that needs to have people that work together to make our country survive and if students are not taught these “human qualities” something could go wrong with our country. 
             I also what to make the point that the students in the video are students that are very motivated and really want to be in school they are unlike a majority of the students in the United States.  Our students have computers and or have access to a computer so much of the fascination around them is gone.   I students in the United States look at them as a gaming system and not as an educational tool.  They just want to play.  The children in the video don’t have the option to play games they were given a task and they completed it at a very high level.  I would be interested to see if this experiment could work over here in the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment